The three main concerns are hygiene (to prevent enteritis); correct concentration (to prevent under-nutrition or hyper-natraemic dehydration); correct temperature.
- Wash hands.
- Wash and sterilize bottle, teat and cap (using steam sterilizer, microwave sterilizer, sterilization solution or boiling for 10 minutes).
- Boil mineral water and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour the correct amount of water in the bottle to the marked level and add the correct number of level scoops of powder using the scoop provided. (1 level scoop with every 30 mls of water).
- Put the teat and cover, and shake well to dissolve the powder.
- Check the temperature by allowing some drops to fall on the wrist. If it feels comfortable, it is the right temperature for the baby. Otherwise the milk should be cooled under running water, or heated in a bottle-warmer.
- The milk should be used immediately; discard any left-over milk.
PS Breat-milk comes in sterile, pre-warmed and convenient containers - I recommend it any time!