29 June 2013
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
2. Strictly limit saturated fats (red meat, whole milk/products, palm oil, coconut oil, chocolates, etc) and trans-fats (partially hydrogenated oils – check ‘ingredients’). In practice, use skimmed milk, and low-fat yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken (remove skin), turkey, fish and rabbit. Use red-meat infrequently and trim off fat. Eat grilled, boiled, stew, baked food, not fried.
3. Increase Omega 3 (Fish - salmon, tuna, and mackerel. Include fish at least twice weekly.).
4. Increase soluble fiber (oatibix, oats porridge, all bran, cruchy bran and other high-fiber cereals, fruits, vegetables and legumes – peas, beans, chickpeas, barley and lentils).
5. Red wine in moderation (one or two glasses per week).
6. Subsititute refined grains with wholegrains (wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, barley, quinoa).
7. Weight loss/maintain normal weight.
8. Moderate aerobic exercise 30 minutes daily (e.g. brisk walking, swimming, cycling).
Ara wkoll Il-Kolesterol (bil-Malti)